Sunday, April 28, 2013

This Is Me

I had a hankering to play with some new things, and this layout is the result!  Here's my boy, Nolan, almost two years ago, looking right at home in the canoe:
I wanted to use this sketch from Let's Get Sketchy, but I decided to change it up quite a bit, using the circles as inspiration for my background:

Do you love that circle background?  I cut a background piece with my Cameo, then used it as a stencil with some gesso.  If you keep the gesso thick, it almost works like modeling paste - I think... I don't have any modeling paste, so I'm not exactly sure!  

Here's a really sweet cut file I found at the Silhouette Online Store for the dragonflies!  I cut them out of cream cardstock, then sprayed the pieces with Dylusions.  Same with the feather.  I was going for a bit of an ombre effect there.  The "TODAY" tab and "THIS IS ME" arrow are also from Silhouette, but I inked those up with Mowed Lawn Distress Ink.  I also used some Close to My Heart wood veneer pieces on this page - the little dragonfly, the sun, and the bird.  
Close to My Heart kraft cardstock and brads, Simple Stories patterned paper and journaling cards, WR Memory Keepers washi tape, and American Crafts twine round things up.  
All in all, I just love how this page turned out!!!


Hopefully Nolan changes his mind about camping, canoeing and fishing, because that's about all we're going to be able to do with him this summer!  Jason only gets two weeks off, and I'm not sure if I get any at all, so it's going to be mostly "staycations" this year.

Well, I need to sign off quickly here.  My little Brenna Bean has finally caught the flu bug that Nolan brought home over a week ago.  He sure suffered for a while there, but it's worse when they're little - Brenna was lying in a puddle of puke this morning, ugh!  I guess I don't need to elaborate more, any of you with kids should know what I'm talking about, but she's looking pretty flushed and tired so I better give her some Mommy snuggles!  Thanks for looking, and hopefully the rest of your weekend does not involve vomit!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely layout and well done.. things to remember.. hope your little one is feeling better soon and she is the last to get it.. take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome page love the painted circles! Thanks for joining us at LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this page! That gesso looks awesome as the background! I love the kraft with the contrasting bright colours and the "fish tale" journaling! Is that a stamp or a journaling block? It's fabulous either way!! If it's a stamp, I need it! lol Hope your kids get better soon! There's nothing worse than kids throwing up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! And I thought the flu was done now. :0( hope your wee one gets well soon!
    Love this lay out! And yes, that circle background with the gesso rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great take on the sketch! I loved how you changed it up. Thanks for joining in at LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! Love what you did with the background! Great adaptation to the sketch! Thanks so much for joining us at Let's Get Sketchy! Hope everyone is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great layout - love the gesso background. Thanks for playing at Let's Get Sketchy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic layout Roxy! LOVE your circle background! I've got a similar one downloaded from the Silhouette store. :) All your dragonflies are so awesome. It is totally amazing what you can do with sprays and ink - I really thought it was all card stock!!
    Well done with the sketch. Thanks for playing along with us at LGS!

    ReplyDelete